Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Devastation in the Tohoku Region

Minamisanriku town is submerged after Friday's ...

Vehicles are piled up in Kesennuma, Miyagi prefecture, ...

Container cargoes gets displaced in Sendai, northern ...



I know everyone has heard already about the news in Japan. The news here censors a lot of the really terrible images that may be seen in the US or other countries where it's not as strict. I have to say though that even with the censors it is still devastating and gut wrenching. Luckily, Nagoya only felt a slow trembling that lasted a long time, but I can't express any kind of relief when I think of the sheer number of lives that have been lost or affected by this disaster. Now, on top of the earthquakes (which seem to still be occurring in some cities) the Nuclear Power Plant up north has had all four of their buildings (which contained the nuclear reactor) explode. Because of the earthquake the reactors had shut down, but this also caused the water cooling system to shut down. I can't give exact detail since this is from what I can understand and from what I have heard from others. Now on top of having to deal with the aftermath of the earthquakes and tsunami some areas now also have to worry about radiation poisoning when it rains.

As I am writing this I am feeling an earthquake.........it was a small one, but now it makes me worry that in a different city that it wasn't that small......like last time. I'm thinking it will be beneficial to put together an emergency kit, and soon!


Photos courtesy of Madperspective

No comments:

Post a Comment