Sunday, June 5, 2011

Crispy potatoes, Man Tofu, and Ebi Chili

 I found this awesome recipe for crispy potatoes! It, originally, was a casserole, but I don't have an oven. I have a toaster oven so I made it smaller and baked it for about an hour and a half! It tasted amazing if I do say so myself!

 I made enough for two and then had some potatoes and shallots left over to make them again the next night! I got the recipe from a blog called "Smitten Kitchen" if you are interested in making these. Here is the link:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/04/crispy-potato-roast/

All you need is potatoes, shallots, butter, olive oil, salt and pepper, a mandolin, ramekins, and at least an oven toaster, if not an oven! Slice the potatoes and shallots on the mandolin. Melt the butter and mix with some olive oil and then coat the bottom of the ramekin, but save some for the top part! Put some salt and pepper on the bottom of the ramekin after coating with the butter and oil mixture. Then, line the ramekins with the potatoes and stuff the shallots in between some slices. You can put as much or as little as you want. Next, use the rest of the butter and oil mixture to coat the top of the potatoes and put some salt and pepper on top. I covered the potatoes with tin foil for about an hour while baking. The last 15 minutes I took the foil off so that the top would become crispy. I did most of this while watching and seeing when the potatoes become crispy. You have to be careful or the potatoes will burn on the top!

 I bought tofu at my local supermarket and it came in this fancy package! I thought the package was pretty interesting. The tofu was actually in individual sized packs. Also, when you take the tofu out of the package the kanji for "Man" is visible. See below.

 Can you see it? If not I have a close up below!

 Don't worry even though it has the Kanji character for man, women can eat it and enjoy it, too! In fact, I really enjoyed this tofu! Since it is in individual packs it's very easy to take with me to work for lunch!

I made Ebi Chili, or chili shrimp, one night. It was the first time I made it, but it turned out well! It took me a little bit to de-vein the shrimp, but it wasn't too bad. The de-veining part and getting all the ingredients together took the longest amount of time. The actual cooking of the shrimp and making the chili sauce was very quick! It went pretty successfully and Sato enjoyed it very much! In fact, before he even finished eating it he asked me to make this again soon. I think I will be making this again! (^-^)y

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that's equally educative and interesting, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the
    head. The issue is an issue that not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I came across this during my hunt for something
    relating to this.
    My site :: cookie monster cupcake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this post!

      I'm sorry my reply is so late! I found your comment in the spam folder for some reason, but don't worry it's not anymore.

      Again thank you and I hope you will check out my blog again!

      Delete