Saturday, July 28, 2012

Nagashino Castle in Shinshiro, Japan


The ruins of a long ago bridge. I was surprised to see the remnants of a stone bridge out in the very countryside area of Shinshiro. What was the purpose for this bridge? Was it no longer necessary to have because of this road? Why was only the legs of the bridge left? I guess I will never know.

We stopped at a Japanese restaurant for lunch after we passed a multitude of cafe's and then no restaurants at all until this one....We were worried we were going to have to go hungry and climb the 1,000+ steps to Horai Shrine.

The whole salmon jerky over the counter was unique, but somehow it went with the decor or the restaurant which was really pleasant.

 We stopped where the Nagashino castle used to stand. It was where the Battle of Nagashino (1575) with Nobunaga turned in his favor....mainly because he survived it. He was able to begin the process of uniting Japan. Of course, in order to get the complete history I recommend you consult the history books. I can only show you where the crucial part of the war was fought.


 To tell you the truth I would never have guessed that it was the location of a castle. There really is no part of the castle left, because it burned down in that war and no one rebuilt it.


These are the steps leading to where the castle was supposedly located. It looks over the moat that surrounded the castle. 

 This is where the castle supposedly sat before it burned down.


 I have to say it was a pleasant location. I'm not surprised that the Nagashino Castle was built here. It was quiet and people could definitely relax in this area. Although, it is still pretty hot and humid, I don't know how they fought that without air conditioning.




No comments:

Post a Comment