Sunday, July 22, 2012

Nagoya, Japan: A Temple In Kakuozan

This was the first time I ever saw heart cut outs at a temple.












 This was the second time I came to this temple and the first time I didn't notice the faces on the roof. But then again it was down pouring rain like a giant bucket was overturned on us, so I couldn't look up unless I was interested in drowning, which I was not.





 This temple had either a collaboration with or was built by a Thai king. I'm thinking that is why there are elephants here. You can find elephants along the street walking to this temple as I showed in the previous post.







2 comments:

  1. It amazes me how these huge buildings were built without modern machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree! Also, the roof was usually built by using the tongue and groove method (of course other methods that don't require nails were used as well, but my knowledge is limited). The lack of nails is really amazing considering the temples or shrines have lasted through time, earthquakes and encounters with people.

      Delete